Jaques ‘Association First Choice’ ‘barrel’ shuttlecock.
The logo adopted by the National Badminton Museum is based on a barrel shaped shuttlecock. Barrel shuttlecocks were in use in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
The Badminton Association was formed in 1893 and the first All-England Championships were held in 1899. From that date shuttlecocks became a little more standardised as more clubs were formed, although still no specifications for shuttlecocks were laid down.
They were the first manufacturer to supply shuttles in a reasonable standardised shape and constant weight.
From 1899 to 1909 at the All-England Badminton Championships they used Jaques ‘Association First Choice’ barrel shuttlecocks. These were manufactured in France and in the early days with no specifications laid down, they suffered from considerable variation in length of flight, size, weight and uniform strength.
In 1909 after lengthy deliberations the Badminton Association decided to replace them in the All England Badminton Championships by an early version of the modern shuttle. This was known as “the straight” manufactured in England by F.H. Ayres. The feather quills, now always goose, were fixed with the flat side to the inside so that the stitching straightened out the natural curve of the feathers. Ayres shuttlecocks were made entirely by hand and would be used in the All England right up to 1939.
F.H. Ayes Ltd. ‘Association’ shuttlecock.
Photos: – Geoff Hinder.